Monday, May 10, 2010

Las Vegas Part One: The Do's

The trip to Vegas was an absolute blast as you can tell by my lack of posts. So, to make up for it, I am doing a two-part series inspired by the Do's and Don'ts of Vegas. First up... the Do's.

1. Go big or go home. From the second I stepped off the airplane, I knew this place was going to be larger than life. From the architecture to the egos, everything had an in-your-face vibe. While you don't want your interior space to overload the senses, you do want to choose accent pieces that are large enough to be seen. Two good ways to determine what size of the accessory should be used are by measuring the 1) height of a room or 2) size of the furniture and then balancing the proportions from there. Here are some great examples to use as a reference.

 from top to bottom: decor8, House Beautiful, Material Girls

2. Take risks. Everywhere you wind up in Vegas, odds are you end up taking a risk I took risks both at the tables and with my wardrobe - the tables definitely being the losing gamble. With your interior space, try new things to help understand your personal style. A low risk change is paint color. If you've always wanted an eggplant room, try painting an accent wall with it. Worst case: you can always paint it back.

Feel like taking even more of a risk? I say, go for it however, sketch it out first to improve the odds of being successful. Here are some examples of big winners.


3. Splurge a little. One thing I didn't know about Vegas was just how great the shopping was. From Alexander McQueen to Zac Posen, all of the key players of the fashion world had stores there. One by one, women were drawn into these stores like flies to a light. Their credit cards seemed to fly out of their bags as if the cash register were a giant magnet. This happened to two of my friends at Louis Vuitton. The justification: because they're worth it. A little rule of thumb to avoid using this justification on a daily basis is to sleep on it. If you're still thinking about that pair of shoes or those sunglasses the next day, chances are you need them. Here are some splurges I've had my eye on lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment