Monday, March 19, 2012

a thrift store desk makeover.

As I mentioned in my last post about thrifting, you can run into some ridiculous sales. Like the 50% off everything last Saturday at the Loveland Goodwill. This is where I scored this little gem for $18. I fell in love with the simple shape, tapered leg and drawer detail. But, like most things at the thrift store, it was in desperate need of some TLC. The orange finish and the laminated counter top weren't going to cut it. 



So I set up post in the front yard of my apartment building and got to sanding.  For the record, I hate, hate, HATE the fact that I have to sand in the front yard of my apartment but there's just no other option. I've learned to bite my lip, embrace the hillbilly-ness of the situation and try to get everything sanded as soon as humanly possible. I don't get embarrassed that easily but when you're sweating profusely with people are honking and yelling at you while dressed in the world's rattiest clothing in the front yard on a busy street, something has to give. And it's certainly not going to be the orange desk. 

Anyway, I sanded everything down similar to last week's dresser makeover. I used the same MinWax Dark Walnut Stain for the body of the desk and the Valspar Bistro White paint to finish off the top. Since the top was white laminate already, there wasn't much I could do besides painting it. I lightly sanded to make sure the paint would stick, primed and painted the top and the sides to make the transition have a little more purpose. I finished off with three coats of MinWax Polyurethane to give it extra durability and prevent chipping. Finally, I gave the original knobs a thing coat of gold spray paint to complete the look. 





Ta da! I mean, how cute is she?!?! I have a chair downstairs that needs a slipcover and the desk obviously still needs to be accessorized, but I am loving the update to the space. The white desktop actually works perfect with the white shelf, making the two pieces feel like one. I plan to introduce more color with various patterns and replace the current photos with something a little more eye catching. Aside from that, I am so happy with the way everything turned out and look forward to finally getting this space pulled together!

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about it...there are LOTS of people in Cincinnati doing much more hillbilly things than sanding so don't apologize for that!
    Looks good too!

    ReplyDelete