Wednesday, March 7, 2012

endless dresser options

Oh, dresser. So close yet so far away.

Your handles tarnished, top scratched, finish tired and dated. You you have so much potential with your perfect size, classic shape and rounded edges yet I have no idea what to do with you.


Ok, that's not entirely true. I have ideas... I just can't decide on one. I know this side of the room needs a little personality, there are just so many different routes I can take to accomplish that. 


The dresser sits directly across from my bed so I can watch TV while trying to fall asleep. The other side of the room is filled with pattern and color, making it difficult to strike a balance and avoid the room from becoming overkill. 




I gave myself a deadline of THIS WEEKEND to come up with a refinishing plan for this thing so I can post the reveal first thing Monday. Here's where I'm at in the process. The main goal: refinish the piece to make a statement.

[bright pastel + distress adds color without being overbearing]

[multiple colored washes adds height and color but could 
look a little young if not refinished correctly]

[campaign-style finishes adds visual interest in a subtle way]

[dark color with gold piping adds sophistication]

[wood + paint keeps a natural element to the dresser while updating]

[add a simple graphic to give a simple piece more character]

[add label holders to increase detailing]

[add numbers to keep classic and maybe find a bright 
basket for laundry to add the color needed in that corner]

[two-toned stenciling to add pattern and movement]

1 comment:

  1. I have the same problem with the dresser that matches the chest! My vote goes with the [bright pastel + distress adds color without being overbearing. The chest is dark enough to handle the distress look, now all you need to do is pick a color.

    P.S. I really think you need a headboard, your bed looks lost against that white wall.

    ReplyDelete