Thursday, January 17, 2013

living room progress

We've put the living room together and, as mentioned in yesterday's post, are trying to find the perfect finishing touches. Overall, I think it's really coming together.


1. THE TRAVEL WALL. I LOVE the way this wall is coming together. We're hoping to fill the entire wall with places we've traveled to over the years. It's a wonderful way to remember the great times had and the gorgeous places seen. I'm thinking about introducing some more color through painted frames - maybe some rust and seafoam greens. But just a couple.



2. THE SHELVES. I like the way they fill out the corner but am not sold on the style. Since the accessories are sleek and shiny (looking to add some color and thrift store specials here too), I'd like to introduce some rustic charm to balance everything out. Lately I've been drooling over these shelves made by Mandi over at Vintage Revivals. I'm hoping to either find something similar or suck it up and make my own.



3. THE RUG. I just don't know what to do. We need a rug (thank you, Ruby's nails) but I can't find any I like under $700, let alone within our actual price range. The dining room rug has more of a traditional/oriental vibe I love and Jim hates. I'd like to get something a little more graphic that compliments without matching. Or maybe layering a jute rug with a cowhide? I've been scouring all the online stores in search for something (ANYTHING!) that remotely strikes my fancy but I've continued to come up empty handed. I'm starting to get a little nervous and may just make Ruby wear dog shoes if something doesn't turn up soon.



4. THE UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE. I HATE all of it. It's beige, the back cushions are sloppy and large and in charge. Jim however, sees nothing wrong with it since it's in one piece and is super comfortable. We don't exactly have new living room furniture in our budget so it's definitely not a battle worth fighting right now. Maybe I take a stab at reupholstering.



5. THE SIDE TABLES. I think I might "beat up" the little stool to build character and add texture to the space. As for the other side of the couch... see the rug explanation above. Since we'd like something a little taller and larger than the typical side table, I've been on the prowl for a cabinet-type piece. I actually got the idea wandering through Target one day, spotting this little gem that doesn't quite fit the space. I'm hoping to head out the the thrift and antique stores next weekend in search of something that works. Add one of my vintage lamps, a bright white shade and some accessories... I think this room will start to shine.



A constant work in progress that's slowly pulling itself together as our living room. Hopefully I can find some things at the thrift stores this weekend to start on the enhancements.

No comments:

Post a Comment