Thursday, April 5, 2012

seeing red. the right way.

With today being the Reds AND Indians home openers, I thought it necessary to pay homage to two teams I hold close to my heart. Between my brother being named after Pete Rose, my parents having owned a baseball card store (mmhmm... Gateway Cards) and my brother playing it all his life (he now coaches high school ball in Orlando) I can easily I was born and raised to love the sport. I've met both Manny Ramirez and Charles Nagy (both held signing sessions at my parents store) and my dad even helped Manny find a place when he first moved to Cleveland! I tell you, it's in my blood. Which works out perfectly for my boyfriend who is a Cincinnati Reds DIE HARD.

So what the heck does all of that have to do with anything I post up on here? The color red that's what. A pretty, vibrant color to use as an accent. As long as you know how. Here are some tips to steer you in the right direction.

1. When in doubt, add a chair.
 A simple update like a paintied chair can help break up a neutral palette.



2. Or a hutch.
Painting a piece of furniture red creates a "pop of color" (thank you, mom) regardless of the piece.



3. Or fabric.
I'm not a fan of painting an entire wall red. I think it's because I like to switch things up a lot. So instead, I opt for things like fabric and furniture that you can move in and out of a space depending on the color scheme.





Whatever the accessory, just be sure to keep the color in small doses. The more you use as an accent, the more dramatic the color will look. Happy opening day!!

2 comments:

  1. One of my top misses of not living in Cincinnati...Opening Day!
    Wonderful post Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rudd - just wish they were doing a little bit better. And that's BOTH teams I'm talking about!!

    ReplyDelete