Monday, September 12, 2011

How to: silhouette bathroom artwork

Brace yourselves. I went a little risque with my bathroom artwork. I felt like I could because the bathroom started looking all pulled together and polished with the wine crate shelf (post here). The added white accessories balanced the drab, ugly tile and lightened up the bulkiness of the wine crate and chunky vanity. I'm still fiddling around with which accessories to display but I plan to mix modern and vintage for an eclectic look with an updated feel. But more on that later.

On the opposite wall, I wanted to hang some larger artwork that mimicked the simplicity of the wine crate and white accessories but added a little humor and unexpectedness. It needed to be water-resistant, couldn't compete with the wine crate shelf display and incorporate a pop of color.

So what did I come up with?


That's right, a silhouette of my dog taking a dump! 

It's weird I know, but for some reason I this it's hilarious the way a dog proudly sits back into a good lean to take a #2. They always seem so uncomfortable and awkward and I can't help but chuckle every time I see one get into the position. Then, while waiting the 10 minutes for Ruby to eventually pick her perfect spot, I got to thinking about how awesome a silhouette of the goofy pose would look in my bathroom. 

So, I putting my pride aside and creepily followed Ruby around the front lawn with my phone waiting for her to do the deed. Then I snapped a million different photos hoping and praying I got one that was usable. Fortunately, a snagged this one. She was so embarrassed.

 

Next, I grabbed my sketch pad and drew the outline of my little furry roommate so it was large enough to fill the spare 18"x24" canvas I had laying around. I cut out the sketch, traced it on the canvas and mixed the perfect shade of hot pink to fill in the outline.




For the record, I was debating on whether to go hot pink or deep teal. To help make the choice, I decided to pick the shade based on the tile color I hated the most in hopes that it would draw attention away. Obviously, the pink won. 


Overall, I'm really happy with the choice. I think it looks modern, brightens up the space and compliments the wine crate and accessories nicely. Plus it's funny, another way to embarrass my dog and something that, yet again, reminds me not to take anything too seriously.

Next up: dialing up the fabrics. Since the white walls are über stark and the tile is über ugly, my goal is to use texture and color to help blend everything together in a way that makes the bathroom decor seem as cohesive and as pretty as it can be.

4 comments:

  1. I have to disagree, I think this dog, Ruby, enjoys the attention. It's funny I almost feel like I know that scruffy looking dog. Enough about the dog, I like the artwork, very original, great imagination. One thing is for sure, you're not afraid to move outside the box. I do think you could have hung the piece someplace other than directly across from the terlet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - yes, I think she actually enjoys the attention as well but it's fun to think that I just might be embarrassing her :)

    I was trying to think of other places to hang it but unfortunately with the tile and alley-style bathroom setup, across from the toilet was really the only option. Who knows though, I may move it to an entirely different place because of how many times it's made me chuckle since hanging it.

    Thanks so much for the compliments and look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable! I have a similar photo of our dog, who is a big black poop machine. It makes me feel a lot more normal that I am not alone in taking shots like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lisa,
    Yes, you are definitely not alone - I can't get enough of the awkward stance. LOL

    ReplyDelete