Monday, August 1, 2011

Another side table FAIL.

I had a bit of a DIY fail this weekend that I'm still trying to recover from. A while back, I purchased this little gem on craigslist for $20. Perfect size, perfect shape but UGLY color. I. Was. Smitten.


My plan was to strip off the gross burgundy paint and refinish the piece in a nice, dark stain and maybe add a handle on the drawer to create more interest. Sounds cute, right?

Well, after an evening of stripping and a day of sanding, I realized that the top of the nightstand was... VENEER. Read: not able to be stained.

For those that don't know, this isn't my first encounter with nightstand drama (post: here). Because of the awkward space, it's been outrageously difficult to find a nightstand that will fit. We're talking daily visits to craigslist, weekly visits to thrift stores and countless hours of trying to talk myself into the possibility of having to pay upwards of $100 for something that would work (sorry, dad but I almost had to).

So naturally, when I found the nightstand pictured above, I blocked out any possibility of the piece having anything wrong with it and focused on how cute it would look stained.

Where does that leave me now? Figuring out a Plan B. Which I believe is paint. Which I'm not sure will work based on the room's current balance of color and neutrals. Case-and-point being:
  1. The nightstand is right next to a white plastic chair, making white a non-option.
  2. The nightstand is right next to my duvet cover which is pretty much the only thing in my bedroom with some actual color. That actual color being one shade of green.
So I'm thinking I need to find a way to introduce an accent color that will allow me to paint the nightstand something bright - counteracting with the white chair and wood dresser while not blending in too much with the green duvet cover.

Here is a picture of my bedroom to-date:




And here are some photos I found to hopefully help me on my way.






Anyone else have any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment