Thursday, February 3, 2011

Shiver my timbers no more.

Instead of continuing to complain about the weather, write about snow-inspired design themes or offer tips for staying warm, I am going to revert back to what I typically do in uncomforatble situations and just avoid it all together. That said, I had a very fun gchat conversation with one of my besties, Corrin, about how living in Florida might not be that bad (aside from the obvious pro of being closer to my brother).

I mentioned that if I were to every move to Florida, I would have to live on a boat with my wardrobe consisting of nothing but nautical-inspired clothing, khakis and boat shoes. Guests would be required to wear gauzy neck scarves, floppy straw hats and red lipstick (I'm not backing down on that, Corrin). I'd incorporate things like "ahoy", "mate" and "let's hoist some sails" into my vocabulary in hopes to grow into your everyday sailorette that hasn't a clue what she's doing. In my mind, if you're going to daydream you might as well go all out, right?



top left to bottom right: modcloth, topshopamazonforever21, anthropologie, true religion

Anyway, if the little scenario described above doesn't sound half bad, here are some sea worthy treasures you can start adding into your space to see if a nautical life was meant to be. Focus on a white, beige and navy blue color scheme with accents of bright red. Add accessories that have horizontal stripes, gold buttons or rope-like detailing. Frame a nautical map, a picture of a boat or some sailing instructions.

NOTE: Be cautious of becoming to thematic. As mentioned in a previous post, it's best to steer clear of overall themes and instead add small accents that suggest the idea (stripes and white-washing) rather than displaying the obvious (giant crabs and fish net overhead). Not sure if you've overdone it? Stop what you're doing and leave the room immediately. Don't go back into it for at least 30 minutes and if you want to start whistling the theme song to "Gilligan's Island", you've taken your decorating too far.







top to bottom: willow decor, apartment therapy, coastal style living, gifts for boaters, interiorly, apartment therapy (and also how I plan to treat my barrel!)

No comments:

Post a Comment