Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Light at the end of the terrarium.

Ugh I am so sick of this weather! It's cold and rainy one day, snowy and freezing the next. I can't remember the last time I saw the sun, let alone a bright blue sky. With the "grass" covered yet again by a thin layer of bright white, it makes spring seem light years away. Then I thought, why not incorporate some greenery inside to serve as a reminder of what plant life looks like.

Below are some examples of hanging plant terrariums - an adorable glass container you can fill with your favorite succulents. Add small little chotskies and moss for a unique effect. Hang one, two or maybe even three in an empty corner, along a kitchen window or anywhere else to help you remember that spring is coming. Eventually.

DIY: Grab a rounded vase, cookie or mason jar, fill with dirt and add some plants. Opt to keep these versions table top thought - no one wants to come home to broken glass and scattered dirt.







From top to bottom: Take Sunset, Luxe and LucidThe Herb Companion, aha! Modern Living, Ladies & Gentlemen, Design*Sponge

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to my two lovely ladies Kate and Drewe, I received a tip and a question in which I was happy to answer.

    TIP: Add charcoal to keep your terrarium living and breathing as mentioned in the November issue of Covet Garden.

    http://covetgarden.com/back-issues/

    QUESTION: For those that want to make their own terrarium but are still looking to hang it, try making a rope holster that the glass container can sit in. Here's an example in which the container is pretty ugly, but you'll get the idea.

    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3576/3490324722_6ef16249de.jpg

    As far as drilling holes or screwing in things, I would still recommend staying away from that. I am not a handywoman nor do I have the proper expertise to provide a guide on how to accomplish.

    Thanks again ladies!

    ReplyDelete