Friday, June 11, 2010

Part One: Serenity Now

Well, it's been one of those weeks so if you're just reading for the design inspiration, be sure to skip to the last paragraph. Trust me.

I now officially have way too much time on my hands to think. About everything. And anything. And it's is driving me crazy. To the point where I feel like running around like Frank Costanza screaming "Serenity Now, Serenity Now!" I am trying to put that energy toward something a little more constructive like this blog, a crossword, a walk, a book, etc. but somehow keep coming up short. I am actually in the process of reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (great read by the way) and am at the part where she begins her stint at an Ashram in India. I have to say, I could not be reading this at a better time because she just flipped out about not being able to meditate like everyone else because she can't stop thinking. Then she gets in a fight with herself about thinking when she shouldn't be thinking... and the frustration is at an all-time high. 

I thought to myself, "You go, girl. I am totally in that same boat (minus the meditation)." For some reason, it is so easy to feel helpless, get distracted, become lazy or lack motivation to do something (just look at my craft nook). And, without fail, all of those factors end up leading you toward frustration - oh, sweet mother of frustration - the hardest feeling to turn around into something positive. This, in case you haven't noticed, is currently where I'm at.

Never one to "get in touch with my true inner being", "solve problems through meditation" or "follow the light to find the meaning of life", I've decided to take a more surface level approach and give myself a new mantra to live by. And no, I haven't a clue what I was living by before this but I'm pretty sure it was closer to Frank Constanza's way of dealing with things. Inspired by the serenity prayer and a little bit of how not to act like Frank, I've decided on the simple five word one "it is what it is"

To kick off this newfound way of thinking, I've decided to ask myself a question about my personal style:

If you were to choose three things you feel encapsulates the current style of your home what would they be? Mine: earth tones/patterns, vintage/retro and... cluttered.
photos from my home

What are yours? I would say that this point would be the realization of what you have to work with and the starting point for determining your personal style.

No comments:

Post a Comment