Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Flowers make the room grow... prettier.

Margaret Russell of Elle Decor always says that a room is not finished unless you have something living in it. I definitely agree with this and, with the weather being as amazing as it is today, plants are the perfect topic of discussion. 

Plants are one of the easiest ways to brighten up a room. You can use them fill a corner, add some color or make a room smell fantastic. However, with all of the varieties, a plant could become an overwhelming choice to make and in my case, a little scary.

In the past, I have killed numerous ferns, flowers and palms trying to accomplish this terrific rule of thumb due to my lack of a green one. However, after a few pointers from my mother and a little research on what plants are right for me, I am proud to say that all of my plants are still alive and the maintenance is actually easier than I made it out to be. Here are some basic tips to get started.

1. Get a pot that drains well. There are a lot of pots out there that are cute, however not functional to those that require a planting handicap. Terra cotta pots (with saucer) are great options because they are inexpensive but can still provide a warm, earthy feel to a space. 

Note: If you do go with this option, make sure to put the pot on a coaster or a plant stand so you don't warp a wooden floor or table. Oops.
 photo by back_garage on flickr


2. Plants aren't nearly as thirsty as you think they are. I was so nervous about killing my plants that I watered them everyday. Truth be told, a hearty plant only needs to be watered 1-2 times a week (double oops). If you're still thinking your plant looks a little sad, check the soil to see if it's damp to the touch. If the soil is, then it has plenty of water. If it's not, then bring on the water. Here are some plants I have had recent success with.

 
plants: basil, butterfly

3. If all else fails, just get fresh cuts. Here are some really great options that, if you're lucky, can possibly last for two weeks. Fresh cuts are also great for special occasions or making your day just that much prettier.

                                          flowers: poppies, anemone                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment