Monday, November 4, 2013

living room inspiration: california coastal design.


As mentioned on change of clothing, Jim and I visited Monterey, CA over the weekend. We parlayed this trip into a weekend getaway full of beautiful sights and great company. After a 30 minute drive along the Pacific Highway, I was inspired to pull a reading nook together. Cautious not to make the space too thematic, I focused more on the lines and color that was reminiscent of the gorgeous area. 
  1. Monterey as a town is mixed with colonial and post war style buildings so I wanted to mix the two styles together through furniture.
  2. There are so many nooks and crannies within the huge cliffs we were driving over (eek!). To capture this without weighing down the space, I added a neutral pattern to the window curtains and let the chair and artwork be the focal point.
  3. Yes, Monterey is a coastal city. However, this does not mean I need to accessorize with seashells and sand dollars. I focused on the textures of the coast, finding objects that represented these without being so literal.

tip: Think of your favorite season to help identify which colors you gravitate toward. Mine happens to be fall so I loved finding a piece of art that highlighted the changing landscape and adding a burnt orange table tray to tie it all together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment