Monday, February 6, 2012

please save me from my to-do list

Does anyone else have the perpetual habit of adding unnecessary tasks to their already extremely long to-do list? To the point where you know it's a bad idea but you just can't stop your hands from typing/writing things down? Allow me to playback the last conversation that went on through my head while driving to work today:




































WHAT?!?!?! Who does this?!?!?! I go to cross one thing off the list and end up with 10 more tasks in its place. I'm a cutter by way of my to-do list. And what really kills me the most? I don't actually have to do any of this stuff. Ok, maybe clean up my apartment. It is looking a little gross. But other than that, nothing else should really have a spot on the list. Nothing. My bedroom looks fine. The lamp and nightstand are fine. The whole setup? Completely fine. But for some reason, they continue to show up. I pause for one second at work and BOOM. At least two more things on my to-do list. I'm heading home for the day and WHAM. At least four more suddenly appear. It's to the point where I have 7 different to-do lists (categorized per room/theme, duh) with 71 items listed. Yep, you heard me. Seventy. One.

Another fun fact about my to-do list is that I rarely check anything off. I add it, I make all these unrealistic plans to knock everything out and then I spend the rest of the time either 1) making up excuses for why I can't complete it or 2) looking at the list and thinking "man, I really should get on that". It's sick I tell you. S-I-C-K.

Take today. I tasked myself with 10 (TEN!!) different tasks despite having volleyball games at 7:25 and 8:25 tonight (both about an hour long). And it's not even like they're quick and easy or in dire need of completion:


Condense accessories on dresser?!?! What does that even mean?!?!

Which brings me back to the original question asked at the beginning of this post:

Does anyone else have the perpetual habit of adding unnecessary tasks to their already extremely long to-do list?

And, as if my long winded rant doesn't clue you in enough, I'd also like to know:

Do you have any tips or tricks for maintaining a realistic to-do list and preventing you from wanting to pull your hair out?

Consider this my SOS.

abstract painting by Ben Will Studio via etsy

1 comment:

  1. Great read Kate! You should only put three things on your to do list everyday, the most important things to you have to do that day and focus only on those three that's it! And reward yourself when you are done.
    Read Zen Habits by Leo Babuka too, he has a blog too at www.zenhabits.net
    Peace!
    Rudd

    ReplyDelete