Monday, October 17, 2011

stumped in my workspace.

I thought I'd have it all figured out by now. So cocky. So full of optimism. Sigh.

It all started Friday night when I tasked myself with putting together a moodboard for my craft nook/area/workspace. For those not aware of what a moodboard is, it's something that people use on occassion to pull together the look and feel of the space to gain a sense of direction. Yes, I'm one of those nerds that tries not to go out on Fridays to 1. save money 2. get a head start on my blog posts and 3. avoid being too hungover to run the millions of errands I pack my Saturdays with. I'm not always successful but have been lately since Jim works and I screen all Friday phone calls.

So there I was all snug in bed (AKA my second couch), Ruby happy as a clam with a new bone and an episode of Maury Povich playing in the background. It was one of the more successful shows I've seen - I think 3 out of the 5 guests were able to confirm who their baby's daddy were on the first try.

After the first "you ARE NOT the father", I opened up my laptop and headed straight to polyvore to whip out a moodboard. And.... nothing. I have a few specific ideas in my head of what I want to do but am having a hard time pulling it all together under a common theme. Let's take a look at what I'm dealing with. And yes, that is my not clean bedroom in the back and Ruby's toys she decided to place right after I picked them up. So inconsiderate that one.





First of all, I don't think I've been realistic about how large the space really is - the size of a hallway. This leaves me with limited floor plan options and very little room to do something cool. Like these.





Second, the space has a crazy amount of wood in it right now - real and fake. I'm not opposed to painting wood (see my nightstand project here) but don't want everything to look all painty-painty. That bugs me. Which is why all of my inspiration pics have such a great blend of materials and colors.





Third, I NEED all of the stuff I currently have in the space. Lois (mentioned here), a desk/work station, a hutch for housing all of my crafty stuff and Ruby's food and water bowls. I also have a couple of rattan cubes that need to go under the work station holding tons 'o fabric along with maybe a chair with a back that I found on the side of the road a while back. Sewing can take its toll on your back.

So what is a gal to do? Do I refinish the hutch using a gradient treatment like the photos shown below? Do I find a new top for the desk to get a little more variety in terms of finishes? Should Lois get a makeover? Can I break up the wood floor with a long rug? Decisions, decisions. All of which I can't. freaking. make.

Speaking of not making decisions, here are some more storage ideas I've collected on pinterest and can't make up my mind on.







One of my biggest design flaws is not being able to start - let alone complete - something until it all comes together in my head. I've tried to push through based on the one idea I've had for a space but it's always turned into a giant messy ball of ugliness in the end. So for now, it's just a giant messy ball of possibilities and a variety of ideas that I can't figure out how to tie together. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment